2011年6月25日 星期六

Management Styles管理風格

Workers must often deal with different kinds of management styles
by Joan Yu

     
In the course of my career, I’ve had micromanagers who checked on every little thing I did. And I’ve had managers who gave me the freedom to do my work in my own way.
  At a previous job, I had a micromanager. He would call me at least once in the morning and evening to inquire how everything was going. Everything that went out required his signature, whether the dollar amount was small or big. When he was on a business trip, he called everybody in the office to check on them. 

In my current job, the only time I see my manager is at the performance review if nothing major happened before that. It was a huge change for me to go from someone watching me 24/7 to no one watching at all. It took me a while to adjust to all that freedom. That freedom comes with a lot of responsibility, however. The manager trusts that I am the person who knows my job best. But if I make mistakes, I am also the person who is held accountable.

24/7 all the time
Adjust

Chat room
It took me a while to adjust to all that freedom.
A while 片刻、一會、短暫的
A while / awhile 兩個詞性不一樣
Awhile是副詞,前面絕對不可出現介系詞
For a while
In a while
所以,以上都用a while兩個字
We chatted awhile.
We chatted for a while.

Key word
check up on somebody檢查某個人的進度、狀況或效率
Our boss checks up on us almost every hour.
Even though the baby is sound asleep, you’d better check up on him from time to time.

Inquire詢問、查問或調查
One of our customers called to inquire about the arrival time of his order.
我們其中一位客戶打電話來查詢問他所訂的貨物到達時間
Nathan inquired this morning whether he has to work overtime today.
Nathan 今天早上在詢問他今天是否要加班
May I inquire who’s calling? 可否問您是哪一位打來的

Accountable負有責任的、有解釋義務的
Accout解釋、說明、負責
Patricia is only accountable to the CEO.
Patricia只要跟執行長報告就行了
Hold someone accountable 是指認為某個人要負責
Josh was held accountable for the loss.
Josh 被認為要為這次損失負責任

沒有留言:

張貼留言