2011年4月14日 星期四

Working With Difficult People 搞定難搞的人 2011-04-15


What do you do when you must work with a difficult person?
不得不與很難相處的人共事時,該怎麼辦?
Recently we added a new hire to our group. According to our manager, she was a great fit for the team. It didn’t take long, however, for us to discover that she was a very difficult person to work with. People complained that everything had to be her way. She wanted to put new procedures in place and always challenged us about how things were done.

Once she asked me to do something for her, but due to our different opinions, we had an argument, and I felt miserable. I rarely raise my voice at home, let alone at work. After that incident, I reviewed the whole situation again in my mind. I realized that she’s just very detail-oriented and quite possibly a perfectionist, so you have to be very precise around her.

As a result, I changed my attitude toward her. I took her comments as took her as advice and looked at her as someone who could watch my back because she’s so detailed. As it turned out, we work great together, and we successfully finished a big project on a good note.


More information
Not sure if your office behavior is offensive? Here are a few more complaints that made the list of Things That Really Bother Your Co-workers:
*Wearing too much perfume.
*Chewing gum loudly.
*Showing up late for meetings.
*Sending unwanted e-mail.
*Telling offensive jokes.
*Complaining about the company and the boss.
*Trying to change another’s political or religious beliefs.

perfume (n)香水

Chat Room
new hire 新雇員
great fit for the team
hire / fit 在此 verbànoun
fits like a glove 像手套一樣合身:很貼身、非常合適
a good fit

Grammar on the go
We work great together, and we successfully finished a big project on a good note.
to finish on a good note à something has a good ending
We had thought the assignment would be boring, but we actually enjoyed working together and finished it on a good note.

to end on a good note
Although the school year started out with several unfortunate incidents, thankfully it ended on a good note.

incident 事件、插曲(通常是不愉快或非預期的)
The delay is a rare incident, Jack always finishes his work before the deadline.
The shooting incident was headline news today. 槍擊事件是今天的頭條新聞

precise 準確的、精確的、一絲不苟的
The precise date and place of the meeting will be posted on the website next week.
I asked Brenda to tell me the precise details from her date.
我要求Brenda告訴我有關他約會的每一個詳細細節

watch your back 提防出錯、提防暗箭傷人
You’d better watch your back at work. A lot of people want your position.
I’m so lucky that you watch my back for me I would be clueless without your help.
我很幸運能夠有你提醒我哪裡出錯,如果沒有你的幫忙我一定是毫無頭緒。

miserable 痛苦的、 討厭的

沒有留言:

張貼留言